ads

Monday, May 10, 2010

Aftermath

According to the news they are still pulling bodies out of the debris from the explosion. 7 more cattle succumbed to their injuries. It has been a glorious morning all in all despite yesterdays setback. Candace had to cancel our lunch date. Apparently her sister and niece were attending the "concert" and they are still missing. She was calling all of the area hospitals trying to get a bead on them. For the first time since I've known her I had to consciously slip on my "human mask". Over the years I've found that empathy is by far the hardest cattle emotion to mimic. It takes a lot of skill and forethought to convincingly share sorrow. I offered to help her in anyway that I could but she declined. She appreciated the offer and thanked me for my concern, insisting that her family was doing everything they could at the moment. Again I expressed my "condolences" and told her to call me if she needed anything. When I hung up the phone it occurred to me that I never thought of the direct consequences to Candace. I reflected on it for a moment and came to the conclusion that eventually she will see that all of this is for the greater good.

No comments:

Post a Comment